Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Party Cakes

My husband and I had a little Christmas party a few weeks ago. We had a lovely night with old friends, new friends, music, drinks and food. One item I served was this chocolate cake. Simple and delicious... it begs to be shared. The recipe suggests serving it warm so it is gooey. When served warm you get just that a warm, gooey chocolate cake. When the cake rests and is served cooled, it is even more delicious as it develops a fudge like texture and is really tasty! I purchased the darling stencils at Macy's, they're from the Martha Stewart Christmas collection and I love them! They make the cakes so cute! There is a third stencil included but not shown (a triple set of snowmen). They make them in smaller sizes for cookies/cupcakes as well. I am dreaming up new ways to use them because I think they are just so adorable! I served a pear butter alongside the cakes but they are wonderful standing alone too.
WARM CHOCOLATE CAKE

3/4 Cup butter + 1 teaspoon for greasing pan
1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons AP flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350. Using the 1 teaspoon butter grease an 8" round cake pan. In a small bowl combine the flour and salt. In your stand mixer beat the remaining butter until it is very creamy. Add in the sugar, then the eggs and beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes). In a small bowl combine the cocoa and oil until smooth. Add the vanilla and the cocoa mixture to the butter mixture and just blend. Add the flour mixture in 2 increments and mix until well combined then pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan then turn cake out onto a serving platter and garnish as desired.


Merry Christmas! 2010 was a beautiful and blessed year for me and my family and I pray yours was too. I look forward to more fun food adventures in 2011 and wish you all a Happy New Year!

7 comments:

  1. We had a great time at your party and the food was fabulous! The cakes are so pretty, love how you decorated them! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks wonderful! Merry Christmas!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes are gorgeous. I'm going to have to buy some stencils. So fun! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those stencils. What a great recipe. I love fudgy cakes. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I can only imagine how good this cake is eaten gooey and warm. Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey stranger! Finally catching up on my reading, and HAD to say how much I love I hope Michaels may happen to have a few left, but I doubt it. Too awesome. By the way, your dad's Abominable Snowman is so freaking cute! It was hands down my favorite.

    Girl, I miss you! We need to catch up at some point!

    ReplyDelete